Regular exercise or physical activity has many significant benefits for your health, fitness & wellbeing. Try just 30 minutes of moderate activity each day to improve health & fitness which will result in increased endurance, strength and vitality while reducing the risk of developing certain conditions and diseases. For your free e-book with tips on physical activity simply download today.
Try to aim for at least 30 minutes a day of physical activity
It is recommended that everyone should par-take in at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity daily however, the National Heart Foundation recommends 60 minutes of physical activity daily. These activities inlclude power/brisk walking, bike riding, playing football with the kinds, a light jog and the list goes on.This activity can be accumulated in bouts of 10 to 15 minutes or more if it’s more convenient however the greatest fitness benefits will achived by completing your chosen activity at one time.
You will be suprised how many opportunities you actually have to be active throughout the day, such as walking to the train station instead of driving, walking to your local gym, taking the stairs instead of the lift, the more flights of stairs the better. If you par take in vigorous physical activity (ie aerobics, running, team sports) then keep it up as these activities provide extra health and fitness benefits.
Steps to good health include:
- Think of movement as an opportunity, not an inconvenience. See any form of body movement as an opportunity to improve your health, rather than a time-wasting inconvenience.
- Be active every day in as many ways as you can. Make a habit of walking or cycling instead of using the car, or do things yourself instead of using labour-saving machines.
- Do at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on most, preferably all, days. Moderate intensity activity includes a brisk walk or cycling. Combine short sessions of different activities of around 10 to 15 minutes each to a total of 30 minutes or more.
- If you can, also try to enjoy some regular, vigorous exercise for extra health and fitness benefits. Vigorous exercise makes you ‘huff and puff’ and takes you outside of your comfort zone . For best results, this should be added to your regular physical activity three to four days a week for 30 minutes or more each time.
Aerobic exercise is when your body uses oxygen to produce energy for physical activity. Aerobic means ‘with oxygen’. Aerobic metabolism occurs when the body breaks down fat and glucose by combining them with oxygen. During intense aerobic exercise, your body uses more oxygen and your breathing and heart rate increase. Over time, regular aerobic exercise will improve your health and fitness and reduce levels of body fat.
Types of aerobic exercise whatever activity you choose to do, it should be something you enjoy. Different forms of aerobic exercise include:
- Walking, jogging or running
- Aerobics classes and water aerobics classes
- Inline Skating/Ice skating
- Corss trainers at your local gym
The benefits of regular physical activity are many and if you are physically active you are more likely to:
- Have improved long term health
- Be less likely to have a heart attack
- Feel more energetic
- Manage your weight better
- Have a healthier blood cholesterol level
- Have lower blood pressure
- Have stronger bones and muscles (less osteoporosis)
- Recover better from a heart attack
- Feel more confident, happy and relaxed, and are able to sleep better.
An effective treatment for depression
Studies have shown that regular exercise can be used in isolation or in combination with other therapies to treat some forms of depression and anxiety. Even people who don’t suffer from depression feel happier and more relaxed when they exercise regularly.
See your doctor first
It is always advisable that you that you consult your doctor before starting your physical activity program.
Tips for becoming active
Even if you have done no activity in the past, begining some form of activity can set you on the road to improved health. Below are some tips to help you incorporate physical activity into your everyday routine.
- Choose an activity that you like so that your enthusiasm doesn’t wane.
- Vary your program to prevent boredom.
- Try exercising with a friend to add an enjoyable social element to your program.
- Start gently – let your body be your guide on intensity.
- Warm up thoroughly before you start, by going through the motions of the activity to increase blood flow to the required muscles.
- Start off with short sessions until your fitness improves. Multiple smaller bouts of 10 minutes will bring benefits. It’s fine to start with even shorter sessions and gradually build up if you haven’t exercised for a while.
- Start gently and progress gradually. If you are overly fatigued, rest for a day, but remember the key to health is regular physical activity.
- Warm down after exercise with easy stretches to let your body ‘cool down’ slowly.
- Give injuries time to heal instead of trying to exercise through them.
Things to remember
- Aim for at least 30 to 60 minutes of physical activity every day.
- See everyday activities as a good opportunity to be active.
- Try to find the time for some regular, vigorous exercise for extra health and fitness benefits.
- download you free ebook and get started today with some practical training tips